The Archeparchy of Addis Ababa
The Archeparchy of Addis Ababa is part of the Catholic Church in Ethiopia was established by the Apostolic constitution “Quod Venerabilies’ on February 20th, 1961 in place of the Apostolic Exarchate which had been erected on October 31st 1951. It covers an extensive geographical area in central Ethiopia. The seat of the Archeparchy is the capital Addis Ababa, which is the centre of diplomatic and financial activity, it also comprises widespread rural areas. The Archeparchial Catholic Secretariat (ACS) established in April 1992 has two coordinating offices; Ethiopian Catholic Church Pastoral Coordinating Office of Addis Ababa (ECC-PACO-A.A.) and Ethiopian Catholic Church Social and Development Coordinating Office (ECC-SDCO A.A.).
The Archeparchy welcomed the call of the Universal Church for self-reflection and renewal. The Holy Father Pope Francis, in his first exhortation Evangelii Gaudium, called for reflection on sharing the joy of the Gospel, a theme resonating with the celebration of the Year of Faith, and the 50th anniversary of Vatican II. The Pastoral Letter of the Bishop’s Conference of Ethiopia: ‘The Church We Want to be’, provides additional parameters for a process of reflection
The Archeparchy of Addis Ababa Comprises 3 Zones of the Oromiya Regional State (North Shewa (R4), part of West Shewa, part of East Shewa) And From Amhara Rigional State, North Shewa (R3)
Area: 28,650Sq. Km, Population: 7,575,056, Catholics 30,194 (2014), Parishes 14, Chapels/Outstations 8, Diocesan Priests 25, Religious Priests 87, Religious Sisters 275, Religious Brothers 30, Catechists 9, Pastoral Centers 3, Schools 41.
You are called to spread the parfume of the Gospel for the people of Ethiopia.Pope John Paul II for the Bishops of ethiopia